Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Cake in a Jar...

I'm always looking for something new to try with the older kids...today's cooking project was... cake in a jar...It's pretty simple really...here is what you will need.



1 cake mix

7 jars Use the smaller jars with wide tops...it's just easier that way...

remember to grease the jars well

follow the cake recipe on the box or make your own

1 cup batter per jar

make sure the jars are on some kind of baking sheet and not touching (bake with no tops)
bake at 350 for 15 min...then start watching it...(ours cooked in about 18 min)

when they come out of the oven...place sterile canning tops on each jar and wait until it seals...then freeze until you need them. (if for some reason they don't seal...they can be kept in the fridge for quite a few days)

**the cake pulls away from the edge as they cool...they do slide out easily**


























We dusted ours with powdered sugar but you could use icing or even whipped cream if you like...yummy. It was a neat little treat for my daughter to take with her to practice and share with the other girls. It also makes for a great treat to pull out if you have a surprise guest show up for a visit...or have some dessert at a family picnic...oh the possibilities...


We had such fun making these...why don't you give it a go :o)

16 comments:

Carrie G said...

Adorable! Your photos are lovely. Great idea with the cake. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - you were the first to visit - other than people I know! Thank you! I'll be adding your blog to my must reads!
Carrie
http://weavergirlguz.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

Now THAT is cool! I can't wait to try it!

jovaliquilts said...

Very cool idea, I'd never heard of it!

I'm in the Miniature Booty Swap and am just making the rounds of everyone participating. Should be fun!

Jerri Dalrymple said...

SO incredibly AMAZING! I can't wait to try this! :0) Now...if I can find that many jars around here, LOL! Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

asti said...

I've wanted to try this for so long! Maybe this weekend...thanks :)

momoflots said...

What a great idea. I love the idea of having something ready made in the freezer for a quick treat - something ready made that we made instead of store bought - so much cheaper, too!!! Thanks for the idea!!
Mom of lots

Lace said...

Oooooo....I tempted you with the haircut... now you've tempted me with cake...mmmm my mouth is watering for something sweet!! ............so what is the hair situation... still growing it out????

Simply Stork said...

Welcome lace

As of now it is still growing out...but oh so tempted :o)

Thanks for stopping in for a visit...:o)

~simply~

WendyJanelle said...

WOW! Awesome. Jerri, maybe between the two of us, we can come up with that many jars and try this together! :-) Are we on for a playdate, as soon as all of our kids are well?
Thank you, Simply!

Jerri Dalrymple said...

Sounds like a great plan, Wendy! Just as soon as we're all clear of this nasty bug!!!

Simply Stork said...

Awwww you ladies are lucky to be so close to each other...enjoy! and let me know how it goes...it's very easy and fun to do with the kiddos :o)

~simply~

Ross' Cottage said...

My girls have been asking/begging to do this one. I like that you let yours lick the beaters! Life's too short not to lick the beaters!

Rachel said...

Can't wait to try this - awesome because I even have jars at home and a cake mix too - I love when I have all the ingredients already!!

PS - love the pics too!

Angie said...

Awesome! Love this idea -- we'll have to try it!

Simply Stork said...

a very special welcome to all the newbees sent over from crafty crow...

please come back for a visit anytime :o)

~simply stork~

Casey said...

what a great idea!! I can't wait to try it out

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin